Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Treatment in Inwood, NY
Copd (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) is a category of lung diseases that make it difficult to breathe and get worse over time. If you’re suffering from COPD then consult with our specialists today. Call us for more information.
Living with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) can be very difficult. Everyday life is affected, but treatment is available and it can ease symptoms, slow the progress of the condition, and improve your ability to stay active. We can provide the treatment you’ll need here at Ahava Medical Inwood. Keep reading to learn more about COPD treatment in Inwood, NY.
What is COPD?
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) is a term used to describe a group of lung diseases. These diseases make it difficult for a patient to breathe, and they worsen over time. There are two kinds of COPD: emphysema and chronic bronchitis. Actually, most COPD patients have both emphysema and chronic bronchitis, but the severity of each can differ between patients.
Typically, it’s long-term exposure to damaging irritants that causes COPD. In the U.S., the main cause of COPD is cigarette smoke, but cigar, pipe, and other kinds of tobacco smoke can also cause COPD. It’s also possible for secondhand smoke, air pollution, chemical fumes, or dusts to contribute to the condition. Age and genetics are possible factors too.
How is COPD diagnosed?
If a person has COPD, at first, they might not have any symptoms at all. However, the disease worsens, so symptoms will eventually show up and become more severe. The symptoms can include:
- Coughs that produce a lot of mucus
- Frequent coughing
- A whistling/squeaking sound during breathing
- Shortness of breath, especially during physical activity
- Chest tightness
Sometimes a person with COPD will frequently get respiratory infections like colds or the flu. COPD may even cause weight loss, weakness in the lower muscles, and swelling in the lower extremities in severe cases.
To diagnose COPD, a doctor will look for the aforementioned symptoms in a patient. The doctor will also ask about the patient’s medical history and family history, and may perform lab tests like a lung function test, a chest x-ray/CT scan, and/or a blood test.
How is COPD treated?
Although there is no cure for COPD, treatment can ease symptoms, slow the condition’s progress, and help you maintain a healthy, active lifestyle. The different treatments include:
- Lifestyle changes – Quitting smoking is vital, and it may also be important to avoid secondhand smoke and other lung irritants; additionally, an eating plan and an exercise plan will help with your overall wellness
- Medicine – A bronchodilator will relax the muscles around your airway to help you breathe better; a steroid can reduce inflammation; an antibiotic can cure any bacterial lung infections you get; and vaccines for the flu and pneumococcal pneumonia can help prevent these diseases
- Oxygen therapy – For severe COPD and low levels of oxygen in your blood
- Pulmonary rehabilitation – A program to improve your wellbeing and that includes an exercise plan, nutritional counselling, psychological counselling, and/or disease management training
These treatments and methods can help you avoid surgery for your COPD and get back to the regular life you’ve been longing for. Please remember that emergency care is necessary for severe symptoms like trouble breathing or talking. But if your symptoms are not life-threatening, you can come see us here at Ahava Medical Inwood.
Do you offer chronic obstructive pulmonary disease treatment in Inwood, NY?
Yes, we offer treatment for COPD here at Ahava Medical Inwood. The treatments we mentioned above are available with us. You can come see us today if you like, no appointment necessary. We’re located over at 270 Doughty Blvd Inwood, NY 11096. If you’d rather book a consultation with us at our clinic, please call us or book your consultation with us online. We look forward to seeing you soon at Ahava Medical Inwood!