Emphysema Treatment Clinic in Inwood, NY
Ahava Medical offers Emphysema Treatment for patients located near Inwood, NY. If you are having trouble breathing and it’s getting worse then consult with one of our specialist at Ahava Medical. Visit us at 270 Doughty Blvd Inwood, NY 11096.
If you or someone you care about is suffering from emphysema, we can help here at Ahava Medical Inwood. Treatment can ease symptoms, slow the progress of the condition, and help a patient stay active and well. There’s a lot we can do to help. Reach out to us today or read on to learn more about emphysema treatment in Inwood, NY.
What should I know about emphysema?
Emphysema is one of the two kinds of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Emphysema makes it difficult for a patient to breathe normally, and it worsens over time. Also, it’s common for people with emphysema to have the other kind of COPD, chronic bronchitis, as well. Because emphysema worsens over time, it’s important to manage it properly and professionally.
You or a person you care about may have gotten emphysema after long-term exposure to irritants that damage the lungs and airway. In the U.S., cigarette smoke is the most common cause of the condition, but it’s also common for pipe smoke, cigar smoke, or another type of tobacco smoke to cause emphysema. Also, it’s possible for secondhand smoke, air pollution, chemical fumes, or certain dusts to cause emphysema. Genetics and age can be factors too.
There is no cure for emphysema. The symptoms of emphysema can be severe or mild, and in many cases, they can be managed and treated with professional assistance. A patient can still have a healthy life.
What are the symptoms of emphysema?
If a person has emphysema, at first, they might only have mild symptoms or no symptoms at all, but as the condition worsens, the symptoms will become more apparent and worse. Symptoms can include:
- Regular coughing
- A cough that produces an irregular amount of mucus
- Shortness of breath, especially when doing physical activity
- Chest tightness
- A whistling or squeaking sound while breathing
It’s possible for a person with emphysema to get regular respiratory infections like colds or the flu. Also, in severe cases, the condition can cause weight loss, weakness in the lower muscles, and/or swelling in the lower extremities.
How can emphysema be treated?
Even though it’s not possible to cure emphysema, there are treatments that can ease a patient’s symptoms, slow the condition’s progress, and help the patient maintain a healthy lifestyle. The different treatments are:
- Lifestyle changes – It’s really important to quit smoking, and it may also be important to avoid secondhand smoke and other lung irritants; also, an eating and exercise plan will help with the patient’s overall wellness
- Medicine – With the use of a bronchodilator, a patient can breathe better; with a steroid, inflammation can be reduced; with an antibiotic, any bacterial lung infections can be cured; and with vaccines for the flu and pneumococcal pneumonia, these diseases can be prevented
- Oxygen therapy – This treatment is for cases of severe emphysema with low levels of oxygen in the patient’s blood
- Pulmonary rehabilitation – This is a kind of program to improve a patient’s wellbeing, and it can include disease management training, an exercise plan, nutritional counselling, and psychological counselling
With these treatments, a patient may be able to avoid surgery for their emphysema and get back to a regular, healthy lifestyle. Please remember that it’s necessary to get emergency care for severe symptoms like difficulty with breathing or talking. So long as a patient’s symptoms are non-life-threatening, we can help here at our clinic.
Do you offer emphysema treatment in Inwood, NY?
Yes, at Ahava Medical Inwood, we offer treatment for emphysema. The many treatments we mentioned above are available here. An appointment isn’t necessary in order for you to be able to see us, so you can come visit us in-person today, if you like. We’re located at 270 Doughty Blvd Inwood, NY 11096. Alternatively, you can book a consultation by calling us or you can book your consultation online. We hope to hear from you soon here at Ahava Medical Inwood!