Interstitial Lung Disease Specialist in Inwood, NY
Ahava Medical provides Interstitial Lung Disease treatments by our specialists in Inwood, NY. Interstitial Lung Disease can make your lung tissues become inflamed and then damaged. Consult with our specialists today! Call us for more information.
At Ahava Medical Inwood, we may be able to treat your case of interstitial lung disease so you can live a healthy life. Depending on the cause, different treatments can be options for you, including therapeutic and rehabilitation treatments we provide at our clinic. Get in touch with us today to learn more about interstitial lung disease treatment in Inwood, NY.
What is interstitial lung disease?
Interstitial lung disease (ILD) is a number of different lung disorders. With these disorders, the lung tissues become inflamed and damaged. It’s possible for ILD to occur without a known cause, and this is called idiopathic ILD. Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) is the most common disease of this particular type.
There are actually many known causes of ILD, including:
- Autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, sarcoidosis, or lupus
- Lung inflammation due to breathing in a certain kind of mold or fungus
- Being around asbestos, coal dust, or another particular kind of dust
- Some medicines like chemotherapy medicines
- Chest radiation treatment
Also, smoking cigarettes may increase a patient’s risk of developing some kinds of interstitial lung disease or may make the disease more severe.
How do I know if I have interstitial lung disease?
You may have some of the symptoms of the disease, like shortness of breath, which is the main symptom. You might breathe faster or need to take unusually deeper breaths during exercise, climbing stairs, and other activities, or eventually even during eating or talking. Also, most people with ILD have a dry cough.
After some time, you may experience weight loss, fatigue, muscle pain, and/or joint pain. And as ILD becomes more advanced, it’s possible to develop clubbing of the fingernails, a blue color to the lips/skin/fingernails, or symptoms like arthritis or trouble swallowing. It can be difficult for a person to interpret these symptoms oneself.
It’s necessary to get professional diagnosis and treatment for ILD. For diagnosis, a doctor will perform a physical exam and listen to your chest with a stethoscope. The doctor might perform additional tests like a blood test, a bronchoscopy, a chest X-ray, or a number of other tests.
How do you treat interstitial lung disease?
For treatment of ILD, the cause and the duration of the disease must be considered. Some of the treatments and their applications include:
- The medicines pirfenidone and nintedanib – These are prescribed for some cases of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) and can slow the disease
- Medicines that suppress the immune system and reduce lung swelling – These are prescribed when an autoimmune disease is causing the condition
- Advice about how to stop smoking, if applicable
- Oxygen therapy – For patients with low blood oxygen levels
- Lung rehabilitation programs – Can teach breathing methods and methods for staying active; can also provide nutritional counselling
- Support groups – To ease the stress of illness
Sometimes with advanced cases of ILD, a lung transplant is necessary, but many less advanced cases can be managed with the treatments and therapies above.
Do you provide interstitial lung disease treatment in Inwood, NY?
Yes, Ahava Medical Inwood provides ILD treatment. If you have or believe you may have the condition, come see us right away. The sooner the condition is diagnosed and addressed, the better chance we’ll have of treating it effectively.
Ahava Medical Inwood is located over at 270 Doughty Blvd Inwood, NY 11096, and to book a consultation with us, you can call us or book your consultation online. Reach out to us today for the care you need. We look forward to seeing you soon here at Ahava Medical Inwood!