Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) Specialist Questions and Answers
Urinary tract infections can be painful and uncomfortable. But don’t worry, treatment is available and our professionals at Ahava Medical are able to quickly diagnose and treat it. If you think you have symptoms, talk to our medical staff. Patients can be seen on a walk-in basis through our urgent care or can make an appointment by calling or booking online. We have convenient locations to serve patients in Liberty, NY, and Brooklyn, NY.
What are the main causes of UTI?
Urinary tract infections, or UTIs for short, are a common infection caused by the presence of bacteria in the urinary tract and bladder. The urinary system is built to prevent bacteria from entering through the urethra, but sometimes the defense mechanisms fail and the bacteria is able to enter. Urinary tract infections are more common in women than in men and can be caused by:
- An infection in the bladder, known as cystitis. Common causes are E. coli, which can be found in the gastrointestinal tract. It can also be caused by sexual intercourse or simply due to how a woman’s anatomy is laid out, specifically the close proximity of the urethra and anus, as well as between the urethral opening and the bladder.
- An infection in the urethra, commonly known as urethritis. This happens when the GI bacteria spreads from the anus, forwards to the vagina, often due to a back to front wiping technique. Sexually transmitted infections can also cause urethritis, such as herpes, gonorrhea, mycoplasma and chlamydia.
If you suspect that you might have a urinary tract infection, know that treatment is available. People seeking treatment can get treated through their family doctor, a walk-in clinic or an urgent care such as Ahava Medical.
How can you tell if you have a urine infection?
Urinary tract infections don’t always present symptoms, and when they do the symptoms could also be the signs of other medical issues. Common symptoms that individuals can experience when they have a urinary tract infection include:
- A sudden and strong urge to urinate that doesn’t go away.
- Upon urinating, feeling a burning sensation.
- When urinating, only having small amounts of urine come out
- Urine appearing cloudy.
- Signs of blood in the urine, such as it appearing red, bright pink or brown.
- Urine has a strong smell.
- For women, experiencing pain in the pelvis, particularly in the center and around the pubic bone.
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, get yourself checked out by a doctor. Ahava Medical offers convenient locations with urgent care at each to be able to quickly and accurately diagnose and treat your urinary tract infections.
What is the test for UTI?
The test used to confirm if a patient is suffering from a urinary tract infection is a simple urine sample. This sample will be collected with instructions on how to clean the genital area prior to the collection of the sample to ensure that it doesn’t become contaminated. Once a urine sample has been collected, it will be sent to a lab for analysis to detect the presence of an infection. The lab can also perform a urine culture on the sample in order to determine what type of bacteria is causing the infection in order for the doctor to be able to prescribe the correct medication. At Ahava Medical, we have a lab on site in order to process urine samples quickly and efficiently so the doctor is able to confirm the cause of your infection right away. For patients who suffer from repeated and frequent urinary tract infections, your doctor may want to do further testing to determine what is causing the repeated occurrences.
How do you treat UTI’s?
Urinary tract infections are typically treated with a course of antibiotics that are prescribed by a doctor. These antibiotics can vary based on the type of bacteria that is found in your urine, and causing the infection, as well as your overall health and any medications you are currently taking. Your doctor will prescribe the antibiotics best suited to your individual case. Once antibiotics have started, patients will feel relief in a few days, although the prescription may run for a full week. Patients are directed to take the full course of the antibiotics to ensure that the bacteria are fully cleared up and the infection doesn’t return. For treatment of a urinary tract infection, urgent care such as Ahava Medical can diagnose you and provide you with the right course of treatment to quickly clear up your urinary tract infection.
If you want to know more about our services, call us or schedule an appointment online! We Serve Patients from Liberty NY, Williamsburg Brooklyn NY, Flatbush Brooklyn NY, Ferndale NY, Swan Lake NY, Harris NY, Staten Island NY, Ozone Park NY.